Rut roh...

Stuffed 4: 5" x 7", oil on panel

Stuffed 4 is complete! I know this photo isn't the best, but it made me laugh when I saw it because the camera "fish-eyed" a bit causing the edges to bow, which really made it look like Dumbo was pushing the limits of the box.

I'm also not sure what I'm going to call this painting, but "Rut, roh" came to mind since he does look a bit concerned about the space he's in. In all, these paintings have been fun to execute - yeah, yeah... there was some frustration with my Chinese doll, but it got worked out sufficiently. Painting such a small panel is definitely a challenge and trompe l'oeil has always fascinated me since I was a child. I don't really want to paint in a photo-realist way, that's too tight for me. I'm not disciplined or driven enough to attempt it. I like to fool the eye just for a moment, yet look like a painting. Does that make sense?

I do intend to keep on stuffing things into the cigar box and see what I can come up with. For now, though, I have to move on to some pieces I want to do. As "Aw -nald" said in The Terminator: "I'll be back..."

Comments

Popular Posts