Daily Paintings

"Secrets", 6" X 6", oil on canvas

I have become infatuated with the concept of Daily Paintings! I ran across Justin Clayton's name and the reference to daily paintings somewhere on the web the over the weekend, as I was surfing about. Intrigued, I checked out his blog and website. I was smitten! His paintings are beautiful little gems of everyday objects, for the most part, although there are some portraits and landscapes. His handling of the subjects is quite wonderful. My favorites are when he takes everyday objects and gives them a sense of importance, whether it's simply a light bulb resting on the table or a slice of lemon illuminated from behind or a sake cup with a blue interior.

I watched his videos and loved the immediacy of the process. It's rather like plein air painting, on one hand. I e-mailed him and he responded, answering questions I had. He also directed me to his FAQ's, which was extremely helpful and he was quite encouraging. Thank you, Justin :)

So intrigued by the process and as I explained to him, I'd really like to loosen up in my paintings, I decided to give it a try. I thought about it all night last night and wondered what I would use for my first daily painting subject. As I sat, reading the newspaper this morning, still wondering what to use, I saw the perfect thing. My funny little, vintage salt and pepper shakers that I bought years ago sitting in the china hutch telling each other "secrets" - or at least that's what they appeared to be doing.

My format is slightly larger than Justin's because I happen to have a box of small canvases that I've collected, liking the size and shape and waiting to find something to inspire me to use them. Which now I have! This piece is 6" X 6" and a gallery wrapped canvas. I certainly enjoyed this foray into the world of daily paintings and intend to keep it up. I love the challenge of it.


Comments

Popular Posts