A Week of Plein Air Painters, part three


Part of the reason, aside from wanting to see all the artist's working, for going out on the breakwater, was to find Ken Auster, CA, to see his work again because I was so taken with it the first time I saw it at D.T. Fleming and the Kick Off Paint Out. I didn't find him, but I did see Betty Hay Freeland, Maui, working with her palette knife again. I stopped to watch her paint and told her how much I loved the fact that she used a palette knife to paint with. It's certainly commendable how tolerant of chattering fans these artists are! We hang on their elbows and watch every stroke, ask questions, take photos, crowd about... Of course, they've likely been under public scrutiny for years as they paint, so I'm sure they're used to it. Or, most likely, is that they go to "Paint World" - the place I say my brain and thoughts go to when I'm painting, so they are probably answering the questions with one foot in reality and the rest of their being is in Paint World, oblivious to anything besides their work. That would be my guess.

As I stated in part two, of these posts, Darrell Hill had been finishing up his painting and as I came off the breakwater and started past the boat slips again, he had completed painting #2!! I swear, I wasn't out there that long!


A short distance from Darrell Hill's spot, another artist working on his own painting of the harbor's promenade where all the ocean excursions and tour booths are located. It was a scrumptious painting, full of color and excitement.























Once again, I have to apologize for not knowing the artist's name. I looked through all of my photos of him and could not find his name tag in any of them.

Crossing the street, toward the Lahaina Court & Custom House, across from the Pioneer Inn, I spotted Randall Sexton, CA, painting a vintage automobile parked in the street.


And lo and behold, past him, in front of the courthouse pillars, was Ken Auster! I hurried across the street to see what he was working on which turned out to be a view of the Pioneer Inn.


As you can see, I wasn't the only fan of his - Carleton Kinkade had sought him out and was taking his picture, too.

Oh, and by the way... Darrell Hill managed to paint a third painting before the two hour session was over!


At 5 P.M. that night, the Maui No Ka 'Oi Gala Reception, at the Village Gallery, in Lahaina, began and as you can imagine the gallery was packed and spilling out onto the lanai with eager art patrons and enthusiasts wanting to view all the paintings selected by the artists for the unveiling and talk with the artists once more. (Each artist had selected three paintings out of the ones they had done that week to show.) Awards had been given out and ribbons were hung next to the chosen pieces. I never did get to view all the paintings as long or clearly as I would have liked due to the crush of the crowd - it was like trying to see Sistine Chapel in July! The show was only hung for 24 hours and being halfway up the mountain in Makawao, well... I have to admit I never made it back down to Lahaina on Saturday. Although, I did get to see a few of the paintings that remained at the gallery, later in the week. I did manage to get a few photos of some of my favorites that night, but they really aren't good enough for posting. This is the best shot I got of all the artists when they gathered outside for the "official photo". I didn't want to get in the photographer's way. Besides, they weren't looking at me, they were looking at her, of course!


It was absolutely a fun and fabulous week watching all these talented artists, never knowing when you might run across one painting somewhere on the island because they were out and about painting all week, not just at the scheduled events. It was also a learning experience for me, seeing how they set up and work. Fun. Educational. Inspirational. I hope I can do it again next year.

Comments

Your coverage of the events and artists at the Hawaii paint out is fantastic, Lois! You must have had a blast!

Popular Posts